Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Spaghetti with Bacon and Peas

I can't recall where I found this recipe originally - I think it might have been from some quick cooking book. But it's pretty easy and tasty to boot!

Spaghetti with Bacon and Peas

Ingredients:
1 lb thin spaghetti or vermicelli
1 package (10 oz) frozen peas
4 slices bacon
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1 container (15 oz) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:

In large saucepot, cook pasta as label directs. During last 2 minutes of pasta cooking, add frozen peas to pasta cooking water; continue cooking until pasta is done. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Return pasta and peas to saucepot and keep warm.

Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 Tbsp bacon drippings from skillet. Add onion and cook until tender and golden, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add reserved pasta water, onion mixture, ricotta, Romano, salt, and pepper to pasta and peas in saucepot. Crumble bacon adn toss again.


Yield: 6 servings

No comments: